More Black Belt Stitching Wizard Stuff

Saturday, September 26, 2009

I Made it Through!

Today was my 2nd interim test at Taekwon-Do. This is my last interim test as a 2nd degree black belt. What does this mean? I have one more pattern to learn and perfect before going for my 3rd degree black belt. I was really hoping for a late fall test for my 3rd degree, realistically I don't think I can learn one of the tougher patterns, Juche in about a month and a half, to two months. Also as usual, my head instructor has the final say.

First I had to perform my highest pattern Choong-Jang (I handed off my camera ... not my fancy-schmancy one to Paige).

Then Paige and I partnered up for one step sparring, and model sparring. (This time my camera went to Bob... he video taped that for you to watch) One step sparring is essentially one attack followed by one defense and a counter attack. I had to create three of these, based on my current pattern. Model sparring is one attack, one defense and 3-5 counter attacks. Both one step and model sparring help demonstrate that we understand the purpose and application of the moves we have learnt. I've spent over an hour trying to get blogger to upload the video but its not co-operating... sorry!

Finally there was the break! At first I was supposed to break 3 boards, but that didn't go so well (its been a long time since I've done a break so I wasn't so confident). After we took away one board I was successful!


Get Ready...

Get Set...

Crack!

There were all kinds of colour belts testing as well, but the cutest had to be the 4-6 year olds! Aren't they adorable?

Now I can relax for the rest of the weekend!

17 comments:

Mary said...

That's awesome and thanks for explaining one step sparring and model sparring. Isn't it awesome when you break boards! I had to break 2 for my yellow belt way back in 1999. Did they have the boards tilted too much or was that due to the type of kick you used?

I haven't been since 2000. I did try another martial arts but my body just wasn't happy so I had to drop out. I came too close to passing out too many times. Not sure if I was dehydrated or my pressure went way too high. Someday maybe I'll be in shape again to go back to classes. Also maybe someday I'll have a job when I don't work weekends. :-)

Congrats on passing your second interim test. You look great in the pictures! and yes the white belt testers look really cute.

stitching aussie style said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your grading Dani. I know how hard you have to work to gain your grading in the higher levels of martial arts. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

claudia said...

You are awesome! Congratulations! I just can't imagine how hard that can be. I have only heard from the people here who partake. It is a great discipline.

Wendy said...

Those pictures are awesome!! Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Dani!

tkdquintmom said...

That is awesome! How long are the steps before you can test i.e. for my 2nd Degree is two years from when I received my 1st Degree, from 2nd to 3rd it's three years, and so on...that is WTF regulations...any free sparring during that?? :) I'm so glad that your back into it...it's soooo good for you. I test at the end of October for my blue stripe..then only one more to go before the 2nd Degree! Congrats!

tkdquintmom said...

Oh one more thing...I see you have to have about 5 people supporting the board holders too so you don't send them flying about 20 feet! LOLOL :)

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Congratulations! Wishing you success in progressing through the next phase - you are amazing! now you can spend the weekend doing what you like... some stitching?!

Karen said...

Woo hoo!!! Way to go, Dani! Congrats!

Katri said...

Congratulations!

Alice said...

Well done, Congrats!

Carolyn NC said...

Congratulations!

Karan said...

Wow, that looks impressive. WTG Dani - big congratulations! :0)
Very pretty monogram too. :0)

Julie said...

WTG, well done. Aww the little ones looks so cute, but they grow up to be big ones LOL

Carmen said...

awesome!! the only that i could do crack,,is my back !!
congratulations for the new degree Dani!!! is amazing.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Very impressive, congrats on the new level you have acheived. CJ ok;-)

Stitcher said...

Oh wow, you are sooo cool! Does it hurt your foot when you do that?