More Black Belt Stitching Wizard Stuff

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

SBQ : February 6th


Well since I'm doing secret stitching yet again... this time its Fair & Square so why not answer an SBQ instead???

Q :Are there other crafts that you have tried and abandoned? Why do youlike stitching better?

A : I've tried temari, dabbled in a wee bit of quilting, and some chain maille. Why do I like stitching better? I can't really explain it, there's something soooo soothing about stitching. I like its exactness, the fact that you have to organize and be organized. Can you tell I love organization (heck its my field!). I just LOVE stitching!


Well I got my results today from my bone scan and MRI. The bone scan didn't really show anything we didn't already know, that there are signs indicative of Plantar Fasciitis. Quel suprise. However we did get an answer from the MRI (which also confirmed my PF), the exact wording is : "Focal fluid accumulation on the plantar aspect of the fourth tarsal-metatarsal joint outlining ligamentous structure." So this translates to I have also dammaged the ligaments in the top of my foot! My Dr. suspects it probably happened at the same time I partially tore my P.F May 2007 the reason this pain didn't present itself until months later is because my P.F. hurt more! LOL. The Dr. was very frank and said there was nothing he could do for me to treat it, but he had consulted with some colleagues of his.

He's referring me to a doctor specializing in musculoskeletal medicine for a treatment called prolothereapy. Essentially I'll be injected with a saline or sugar/water solution in the area where the ligaments are dammaged. This will cause inflammation which in turn my ligaments will go into healing mode and my ligaments will start producing collogen (which is what they're made of). The idea is that through this process my ligaments will begin to heal/strengthen and the pain will go away (we hope). So if you've had this treatment I'd love to hear your input. Did it work for you? For me the down side, nither the provincial health care plan nor my insurance plan cover this treatment and its not cheap. But what am I to do???

Also I'm being put on the list to see one of the two foot/ankle surgeons in the region. Unfortunately the list is a long one and I won't get in to see the surgeon until the fall. This doesen't mean surgery is a sure thing but if this prolotherapy doesen't work a surgeon is most likely my last resort... if he can do anything.

Photo (SLR) : Ice sculpture at Winterlude 2008

10 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Well Dani I'm sorry to hear that the MRI results were less that favorable to get treatment for your pain....I don't like the sound of putting something in your foot to make it inflammed...but I guess if collagen would be the outcome and possible healing a little discomfort would be worth it, eh? Good Luck!!!!

Dawn T. said...

I wish the results would have been better. Hopfully the treatment will work:) (((HUGS)))

Rebel In Ontario said...

Well, at least you have an answer now, not the best one but at least they are working on a solution. If you do decide to go for the treatments, I hope they work. {{{HUGS}}}

Needlearts Kelly said...

I'm sorry that the results of your tests didn't give you a nice clear path to a permanent solution. Good luck and I hope whatever you choose works to make you pain-free.

stitching aussie style said...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do about your foot. All these decisions can get to be too much at times. Any one have a crystal ball?
By the way, your photo of the Ice Sculpture is AMAZING!!

DaisyGirl said...

Sorry about your poor foot, that stinks being not alot to fix it, I'd probably try the shot thing, maybe it will help!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Donna

Claire said...

Well that sucks! Sorry to hear that, but at least you know what's wrong, and have some treatment. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Cheers

Beatrice said...

Boy it sounds like you will have a bit of a time with treatments. I hope that you have some relief from it soon.
Take care girl!!
p/s the photo is superb.

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear about your MRI results - but I hope that the treatment helps and you don't have to go for surgery. I'll be sending healing thoughts your way!

Lisha said...

I'm trying to get caught up. Thanks for visiting me. Sorry to hear about your foot. I'm surprised you don't have to have surgery. That is usually the protocol for ligament damage in the foot. They have to put pins in to hold everything together. Make sure you wear good supporting shoes all the time with arch support.