More Black Belt Stitching Wizard Stuff

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

No More French Knots!


I've seen a lot of discussion lately primarily on Facebook about French Knots and how they are the Devil.  Actually just how difficult they are, that they're never consistent, flop around or pull right through your fabric.  Many, many, many years ago (like 2001 or so) I took a class from Jennifer Aikman-Smith of Dragon Dreams and she taught us how to make Colonial Knots.  Since then I've never looked back!

I know some of you out there have actually mastered the French Knot and I envy you and you're a stitching Goddess (God).  For the rest of us, this knot is just easier.  I do sometimes replace with beads cause that bit of bling is nice... but some designs just call for the rustic look of a knot.

I found out about this video (thanks Bonnie) by Jennifer teaching this technique and I wanted to share it with you.  If you have trouble with French Knots check this out.  Or ask your stitching friends, at your LNS or other stitchers.  I know someone out there will be more than happy to sit down with you and teach you.  I've done it many times over the years!  I once even sat down and taught Teresa Wentzler, the Queen of Blended Threads (and quarter stitches)!


Here's a closeup of the Colonial Knots I did on my latest Happy Dance, Summer Garden.

18 comments:

Carol said...

I followed that same tutorial recently, Dani, and it was such a help! I am a French Knot flunkie so the colonial knots are what I tend to use now, too! Your Summer Garden looks gorgeous :)

chickenchupacabra said...

I'm a flunkie, too. Thanks for posting that video!

Anne said...

Love your version of the summer garden! The reds are so pretty! It's funny but I never had a problem with French knots. I learned how to make them when I was young and been doing them ever since. I find the Colonial knot tricky!! Cool video though. I like it when she says "you can leave your needle in your work unless you have a cat or a toddler!" Lol!!

Bea said...

This may be the answer for me - my French knots are terrible.

Tricia T said...

I had to watch your video to see which kind of knots I make. I guess I'm a french knot girl. I'm like Anne, I learned to make them when I was young... before I knew they were hard. : ) I'll have to try the colonial knot, though. It looks like a challenge! : ) Gorgeous stitching, BTW, I love the colors and fabric you used on Spring Garden!

Rhona said...

I love French knots, but I'm a bit OCD about them all looking the same. Thanks for sharing the video, I'll certainly try this technique.

D1-D2 said...

When I was at the Toronto Creative Festival last year, I took a class with Carol Arsenault and she said that the trick to getting a perfect french know is by using a small hoop. I still haven't tried it thought :P

cucki said...

Oh dear I love French knots so much..
My fav :)
Hugs x

Angela said...

I really don't mind french knots but I do like the look of those colonial knots :)

Linda said...

Thanks for the video Dani. I have actually gotten better with making french knots.

Linda

Pam in IL said...

Ack! I still can't get either of those knots! I'll have to watch that video a million more times and maybe I'll get the hang of it. Thanks for sharing.

Barb said...

THANKS! Dani! I hate doing French knots!!

Brigitte said...

Thank you, Dani, for mentioning this video. I'm not always happy with how my French knots are looking, so next time I'll try the Colonial knot, maybe I'll like it better. At least it looks fantastic on your little summer piece.

Bette said...

I'm another one who loves to do French knots. I also learned when I was young and I have to say, I do them well. I've tried the colonial knot and just couldn't get the hang of it. So I guess for me, I'll stick witht the french knot.

Vickie said...

=) I read this post as I am currently working on my French Knot Henry. I have done over several hundred so far. ;) I am glad your colonials work perfect for you. :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I just saw your comment on Riona's blog about Teresa's dragons being the males to Jennifer's females. That made me laugh because I said exactly the same thing in an email to her!

I can manage a french knot but prefer beads. I will watch the video and see how they go.

Julie said...

Will have a look at the video, thanks.
Summer Garden looks wonderful.

Melanie said...

What you said. I switched to colonial knots a few years ago - no more French knots for me..........EVER.