More Black Belt Stitching Wizard Stuff

Monday, October 08, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

First of all I'd like to wish all of my fellow Canadians a Happy Thanksgiving and that the weekend was everything you wanted it to be. Once you read this... you'll know why I've been quiet for the last few days!

Todd & I on the boat (see you Brighton non-Todd believers, its the same guy from the other pictures!)


This year Todd and I took a different approach to Thanksgiving. We didn't spend it with family at all this year back in August I booked a weekend getaway for the two of us. Its something we've not done in a very long time. Yes I know, Thanksgiving is/should be a family time where you get together, eat way too much, and often go home complaining about someone or something. However, sometimes you have to focus on your partner and your relationship with him/her. That's what we did!



Saturday morning we stared out with a nice lie in at home, as we were leaving town we had breakfast at one of our favourite spots. We first drove into Kingston so Todd could check out the shop I buy all of his die-cast car models. Boy... it was like a kid in a candy store. We went to a few other shops before it was late in the afternoon for us to head back East a little to Gananoque and the Gananoque Inn. My long time readers may recognize this as where I've gone a couple of times in past years for the Cross Stitch Cupboard's fall retreat (where I'll be going not this upcoming Friday, but the next). Its a beautiful inn, right on the St. Lawrence River, with excellent food! Saturday evening we had dinner in the dining room, and boy its fine dining... Todd and I made sure to have food off of the menu we wouldn't normally get in a regular restaurant. It was a lovely three course, two hour meal!



Bolt Castle at the top of the Hill

Sunday was a gorgeous day! Sunny and 16c with a nice breeze, my favourite type of day. We got up early that morning, had breakfast in the dining room before we went on the 1000 Islands Cruise (3 hours) with a stop over at Heart Island with a tour of Bolt Castle (2 hours). The scenery was just stunning (this was actually the 3rd time I've done this tour... once as a child, once about 7-9 years ago and this past weekend). Having been to Bold Castle three times at different points in my life has been quite cool. Bolt Castle was under construction in the early 1900's a castle for Mr. Bolt's wife... all construction stopped in 1902 upon her death, the workers just put their tools down and walked away. Over the years they have been restoring/completing the work. When I first went as a child I have impressions of graffiti, rickety floors, and an all around dump. My second trip I remember parts of the castle being open and work was in progress. This year so many areas of the castle are open and safe for us tourists to walk about. They have finished quite a bit of the main floor complete with furnishings and art original to the period. I took over 200 pictures on Sunday afternoon! Last night saw us having dinner in the bar/grill at the Inn, Muskie Jakes... another good meal!


Our boat for the 3 hour tour


On the main channel of the St. Lawrence


Heart Island & Bolt Castle


The Bolt Castle Boat House


One of several restored rooms on the main floor of Bolt Castle


This morning we woke up... unfortunately it was time to pack up ... one last breakfast in the dining room and back to reality!

Now the only downside to this weekend... after yesterday's boat tour and a bit of a nap in our room before dinner (sun and water just tires you right out!)... I found my throat was scratchy and started a bit of a cough. So yet again I'm sick! I'll be taking things easy this week, I want to be healthy for when I head back down to Ganenoque!




I didn't stitch much this weekend as it was a weekend for us. When I did stitch a little (in the car) or when we were lounging in our room I worked on Mini Cottages 5.

When I got home I finished up my piece for the Fair & Square Exchange - round 3. I'm very happy with my results this round. Oh and I never got around to it but here's my piece from round 2.


Tantes Zolder (My Aunt's Attic)

32ct Natural Linen
DMC overdyed
Also... being Monday I was very good and worked on Tour des Marques... I finished the backstitching on page 2 and got a good start on page 3.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous time and a GREAT IDEA for Thanksgiving! The photos here are fabulous. I once went to Hearst Castle in California it was amazing. I, too, like to think outside the box. I once took my kids to an amusement park for Easter and have been known to do other such crazy nonsense like that.

Anonymous said...

Your weekend sounds like it was heaven! Some great photo's there - what a lovely place.

AnnMcD said...

Sounds like you and the phantom boyfriend had a fabulous weekend. I was terribly impressed by Boldt castle when I was there a few years ago...and the 1000 Island cruise is always so interesting and the scenercy is gorgeous.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I think it a wonderful idea to have a weekend unto yourselves! What a wonderful time and glorious days you had there according to the pictures :) Its always nice to be with your partner and remember how much you love each other...day to day things tend to help you forget that sometimes.

Kathy A. said...

Wow, Dani he does exist! or did you borrow some one to take the photo with LOL. Leo and I did the 1000 islands and Boldt castle a couple of years ago.Beautiful photos. Glad that you took some time to reconnect with your fella. See you next week.

ollie1976 said...

Feel better. What a great weekend!
-Jen

Laural said...

Congratulations on a wonderfully well spent holiday weekend! I hope you feel better soon!

Beatrice said...

Did you find that guy at the Castle....He must be your knight in shining....Sunglasses.
Nice photo. It is nice to meet Todd.
Hope you don't get a full blown cold!
Nice stitching on The Tour.
Love the Photos it looks nice there.

Wanda said...

What beautiful pictures it looks so relaxing. My DH and I have thought about going to the mountains for Thanksgiving ourselves nothing wrong with doing your on thing! It looks cool there it is still 90 degrees F we're still waiting for autumn!

Zeb said...

Glad you guys had a good time :)
And yup those photos are stunning.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful. I'm glad you had a nice holiday away.

Hope you are feeling better real soon.

CritterLady62 said...

It sounds like you did have a lovely weekend. The places look quite relaxing and pleasant. Your stitching looks great as usual.

Julie said...

Behind again! Sorry! Happy Thanksgiving! I was caught off gaurd a bit forgetting where you lived thinking somehow I had missed an entire month if it was already Thanksgiving! :-) Thank you for sharing about your wonderful, beautiful weekend. The pictures are incredible and I'm sure its much more so in person. I wonder how many square feet that boat house is and whether they need someone to live there! :-) I'm glad you took the time out for your relationship and enjoyed the weekend. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Abi said...

Love the pics! I've been to 1000 Islands a couple of times to go fishing, but never did the cruise or go in Boldt Castle. I'm glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

I have never been on that tour, but it is now on the list! You did an amazing job of the photos! (and Tour des Marques is looking good too:D )

Stacey in NS

Lynn said...

What a wonderful way to spend the holiday, good for you! I've been on one of the boat tours but never stopped at the castle, just passed by. I'll have to make a point of it in the future.
Okay, I did not give you this cold! I was nowhere near you, lol!
I've been in bed with it since Thanksgiving night after coming down with it on Saturday. Good thing we're getting it out of the way now before retreat!

Christine said...

Sounds like you had a Great Thanksgiving with Todd. Love the pics, what a beautiful place to have some alone time.

Anonymous said...

Oh, it sounds like you had a great time! I have wonderful memories of playing around Boldt Castle with the son of one of the caretakers one summer. They used to hold church services there on Sundays, too, though I'm not sure they do that anymore.

Kajsa said...

That sounds like a wonderful weekend. We did go to both Gananoque and Kingston about 12 years ago and it was the best. Loved Fort Henry!

Your finishes and progess pics are lovely!